Friday, June 13, 2003

ODD study

Mom found a newspaper ad from the university looking for kids with ODD and no other problems. It seems they want to try an ADHD medication called Adderall on ODD kids and see if it helps any. I thought Alan would be perfect for this study. The analyst thought it couldn't hurt, and if we wanted to forgo the study, he could probably persuade his partner into writing a script for it.


I called the university and set up an appointment. They faxed me a 17 page paper explaining in detail the process and the procedures to be used. It didn't seem to be a problem, except for the blood.... they would need to draw two samples - one before the test and one after. I knew Alan would not like this.


But after talking to him, he agreed to go for it.


The interviews with the doc and Alan and I went well. I learned something in fact. Alan doesn't have all the indicators for inattentiveness, but he has quite a few of them. When the doc told me about this, we agreed that this study would most likely result in a major improvement for Alan.


At that time, the nurse was trying to draw blood. And Alan fainted :( poor guy, I wish I had been there to help. Are mothers a help in cases like this? I don't know. Anyways, he fainted and she couldn't finish the draw, so it wasn't enough blood to send. I kept hoping that Alan would continue, but he decided that was enough and he wanted out of the study. I couldn't persuade him otherwise - a hallmark of ODD is Defiance after all. The nurse, doctor and I talked about it some and thought he might reconsider on Monday. He hasn't. I'm disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment