Monday, March 31, 2003

Green Island Fig











I got this fig also from the Bonsai Society's auction. It's a great tree and something every beginner should have. The leaves are really thick and glossy. The tree buds back well, so mistakes are easily forgotten.


The water marks were removed by wiping with a rag soaked in vinegar. I understand this tree breathes through its leaves and deposits residue on the leaves, so it will have to be cleaned before showing. Leonard Sorge told me to take off all it's leaves in June and it will produce smaller leaves. I did it and it does, naturally. This tree also reduces it's leaves when in full sun.
This is the same tree a year later. It lost all it's leaves when we had an early spring and then a quick freeze in February. But it has come back pretty well and I anticipate it will be full come August. I didn't notice it until I took this picture, but it needs to be turned every few days -- all the leaves are facing toward the back! Notice how shiny the leaves are compared to last year. I try not to get the leaves wet when I water; this makes a big difference and keeps the leaves from spotting so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment