Sunday, April 20, 2003

My Experience With Henna

MagpieDee had this poll on the old LHC board and I thought it was worth keeping my answers here also.

1. How long have you used henna? How often do you use it? If you no longer use it, why not?

Only 6 months, with a total of 2 applications 4 months apart. Still using it.

2. When did you first try it, and what was that experience like?

October 2002 was my first time. I did it according to the Reverend Bunny's site. It worked well, except I didn't use as much as everyone recommended (I was too scared I'd turn out red red)

3. What brand(s) do you like? What brands would you NOT recommend? Where did you get them?

I bought body-grade henna from www.everydayhenna.com. It is called Kimia, very nice color and sifted fine.

4. What process do you use to henna your hair?

I mixed the henna in a plastic tub with lemon juice (I used three plastic lemons) and ACV to get a consistency of yogurt. Let sit in a warm spot overnight to allow the stain to come out to it's fullest.

Then I wet and towel blotted my hair and applied vasoline around the hairline and on the ears to protect the skin from staining. Using gloves and an applicator bottle (with the hole cut large) I squirted the henna into my hair in sections, working it all over.

After it has all been applied, I wrapped my hair on top of my head and put on a plastic showercap and then a towel warmed from the dryer. I kept it on for 4 hours and then rinsed it all out.

I rinsed and rinsed until the water ran clear. I didn't use shampoo nor conditioner.

5. Do you find henna beneficial or damaging to your hair health overall?

I think it does neither. I thought it was softer but I'm not fully convinced yet. I am sure it isn't damaging.

6. What is your favorite thing about henna? What is your LEAST favorite thing?

Pros: The way it shines in the sunlight. How it is barely noticeable in my hair in normal light.

Cons: I suppose it is the process of putting the goose poop on your hair. I've never colored my hair so I can't compare the process to that, but I'd think it was similar.

7. What else should someone know if they have never used henna but are considering their first henna experience?

ALWAYS DO A STRAND TEST, ESPECIALLY IF YOU'VE ALTERED YOUR HAIR (DYES, PERMS)

You shold know that henna stains, especially the hands and feet. Henna leaves a translucent stain on the outer shaft of the hair, not the inside like chemical dyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment